Monday, May 19, 2014

DIY Hair Tea Rinse For Postpartum Shedding


"Postpartum Hair Loss — What Causes It
Normally, the average head loses 100 hairs a day — but not all at once, so you don't notice them. Your pregnancy hormones keep those hairs from falling out (which is why your hair looks as lush as a supermodel's, or is so thick you can barely get a brush through it). But all good things must come to an end, and that includes your awesome new 'do. When those hormones drop back to normal, the extra hairs drop, too." - What To Expect (source)

This is my 3rd round of postpartum shedding (3rd pregnancy) and it seems to have come with a vengeance this time. Thankfully, I've found a solution that has helped slow the shedding down and make my hair more manageable. I created a quick and simple, all natural hair tea, using ingredients I already had in my cabinets.

Ingredients:
Green Tea (1 envelope)
Apple Cider Vinegar
Dried Hibiscus Petals
Water

Supplies:
Spray Bottle

Warm about 4-6 oz. of water, just warm enough to steep the hibiscus petals and green tea. Place about a full tablespoon of dried hibiscus petals in the warm water along with the green tea. Let steep for 5-10 minutes or until the water turns a dark red. Add about 2 ounces of apple cider vinegar to an empty, clean spray bottle. Pour hibiscus green tea mixture into spray bottle. If water is hot, let it cool before pouring so that you don't warp your spray bottle.


How to use:
I use my hair tea rinse in the shower on wet hair. I section my hair into about 4-6 sections and spray my scalp. I do this after I shampoo my scalp with a Bentonite Clay shampoo bar that helps with the itching I've been experiencing which I suspect is due to the shedding and hormone changes.

You can condition your hair before or after spraying your scalp, I like to condition before. After I spray the hair tea, I rinse very well because apple cider vinegar is stinky! 

This has helped my shedding tremendously. Though my hair still sheds, it isn't coming out in clumps and has gone down about 50-75%. 

I do this routine 2xs a week and a 8o oz. spray bottle will last me the whole month. I haven't noticed any mold growth inside my bottle but, if you want you can place the tea in the fridge between uses. 

Simple enough, right? Try this hair tea rinse and tell me what you think in the comments!



 photo blogsignature1_zpsaa547a94.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. 1. No spam. 2. Be respectful

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...