Wednesday, August 6, 2014

What is my passion? Why do I make soap?


Everyone is in the business of  "Helping You Find Your Passion" but, what does that even mean? For many years it meant nothing. I wasn't passionate about anything. I had things that were personal to me of course but, nothing that woke me up in the morning. To be honest, nothing really wakes me up in the morning, I love sleep. If I didn't have children who need breakfast, I would lay in bed until 10 o clock every morning staring at the ceiling. I disgress... I figured I didn't have a passion.


Since becoming a mother for the 3rd time, I've realized my passion and it surely isn't soapmaking or soap. Don't get me wrong, I love making soap but, I can't talk about it ALL DAY. I realized how much I don't want to talk about soap all day when I was a part of several soapmaking groups on Facebook and had to leave them all. When you think to yourself "If one more person asks about colorants and how to get a soap to trace ONE MORE TIME!!!!" yeah, soap is not your passion. (Just being honest, I'm not cut out for that kind of redundancy.) I have no desire to go to soap conferences (some of that is the introvert in me, I will admit that). I love my soap friends though!

So what's the point of this post? What am I blabbing on and on about?! I swear I have a point.

My passion is helping women, specifically mothers. The avenue I use to help mothers is soap. I'm passionate about encouraging and uplifting moms. We don't hear enough how awesome we are, we aren't encouraged enough to go take a break and relax. Every parenting magazine is full of articles on how we're doing it all wrong and need to get with some new parenting style. No. Many of us are doing it right. We're trying. Every single day, we get up and try again to be great at this mom job. I don't mind getting paid in cuddles and kisses though. (Sidenote: My youngest is about to be 1 and I have all the feels. I want her to stay my little baby.)

Soap is the avenue I use to reach moms. Pretty soap. Wonderful smelling soap. 


For many us, we're only alone in the bathroom. Specifically, in the shower. We aren't even alone to pee. Just to shower. Even if you manage to keep them out, they stand at the door with ALL THE QUESTIONS AND EMERGENCIES. Even my husband's life falls apart when I go to the bathroom.
Our showers are sacred. We need to have the BEST SHOWERS EVER. So, bring all the wonderful smells, beautiful colors and luscious softness that is bubbles. This is why I make soap. I love what soap becomes. I love the naturalness and the skin softening because, my 2 yr old makes it his life's mission to dump out all the lotion everywhere. I need soft skin that doesn't NEED lotion right out of the bath. Our showers need to work miracles. We need our shower to calm us, help us figure out life, give us soft skin, encourage us, get rid of the tired and just make us feel better. My soap does ALL THAT and that's why I make it. Not just make it but, make it the way I do. Every single batch, every single scent has a purpose.


I love the creative side of soapmaking. Thinking about what colors look best together, what scents match what colors, how do certain scents make me feel and how I want those scents to make other women feel. Will the scents relax you? What does smelling that soap do to help you feel better?



These are the things that keep me soaping. Making something I love and using it to help other moms feel better. Helping myself feel better. Soap doesn't talk or whine either so that's a plus.

What's your passion? Why do you do what you do? No corny answers okay? If you love it, why do you love it? Let me know.


 photo blogsignature1_zpsaa547a94.png

4 comments:

  1. Love it!!!!! This is soooo on point!!! Thank you being 'comfortably you' and for contributing to the "Empowering Mama" cause! xoxo, Ayo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So insightful and encouraging. It's not the WHAT but the WHY and the HOW that really reveals true purpose... Thanks for sharing that. It's time for me to go introspecting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post as we rarely get to see this perceptive from business owners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes yes! Beautifully truthful! Being a mama is challenging! And you are right on about the shower! The bathroom is my only getaway (it's the ONLY room with a lock on it in my house!!!) Thanks for your passion to help us mamas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. 1. No spam. 2. Be respectful

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...