Friday, July 25, 2014

Making Yourself A Priority



One of the main things mothers face is making time to for themselves and, how to make themselves a priority. I've struggled with this for years and still do at times. I wanted to be that great mom that put her children before all else and could brag and say I gave them more than I gave myself. I tried that for a little while and it sucks.

I was looking a mess because I'd spent my money on my children (stuff they didn't need) and 1. No one found it honorable. No holy round of applause was heard at the cash register. 2. My children (you can put spouse here if it fits) still managed to ask me for something else .03 seconds later. (Children will suck you dry of every single drop of sanity, if you let them. Family & friends will too!) Basically, I got screwed over by MYSELF.

If you're the mom that says "Oh I hardly ever shop or myself." Stop doing that.


  • Oh the guilt. I learned (still learning) that you have to put yourself first and STOP feeling guilty about it. Why is it some evil thing for moms to feel great about themselves? Moms are weird. 



I had a friend, who whenever I would talk about shopping for clothes, shoes, polish, whatever, the first thing out of her mouth would be "Oh, I want such and such but, I'd rather spend on the children." Are we seriously having this discussion over $2 nail polish? Us women, we're crazy.



  • It's about balance. You need to take time for yourself and not worry about ANYONE else. 

Want to exercise? Don't say you don't have time, make the time. Tell somebody NO. I can't do this for you because I is important. I is special. 

I wanted to be able to feel like I was a great mom and tell everyone about it. Well I was left feeling stupid. Especially, when another mom told me how she takes care of herself. She had balance. She was able to do what she needed for herself and take care of her children and home. How can I be a great mom if I'm tired all the time AND my house was a mess?

I don't have this down to a science yet and sometimes my house still looks a mess. Oh well. I have my sanity. The point is, I see myself as a priority ALONG with my husband and children.



No Excuses. It really is all a bunch of endless excuses. We want take more time for ourselves, we NEED treat ourselves better but, we use every excuse not to. And that friend who is agreeing with you and telling you, you look like a "great mom" in your raggedy t-shirt and holy yoga pants. STOP LISTENING TO HER.

Now when someone asks me "How do you do it? Business, kids, married, etc. etc." I can say, I don't do everything all at once. Someone is always getting the short end of the stick at my house. I just make sure it isn't ALWAYS me, we rotate the short end around and, I've managed to shower & fix my hair everyday. That is an accomplishment. Life is about progress.

How do you keep yourself a priority? How do make sure you're taking care of you?


 photo blogsignature1_zpsaa547a94.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. 1. No spam. 2. Be respectful

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...