Tuesday, July 22, 2014

How I Stay Motivated



When I first started my business (Lia Naturals Bath & Body) I never thought I would need any help staying motivated. All those motivational quotes that say "Your passion will wake you up" and "I do what I love so it doesn't feel like work" are a bunch of bull-stuff that you kick around. Yeah they sound nice and pretty and maybe they are true for some people but, for the rest of us, some days we just don't love any of this. And guess what? That's perfectly normal.

When you turn your hobby into a business, in some ways the fun aspect is lessened. It goes from doing things because you WANT to, to doing things because you HAVE to. Need to get out a custom order in 3 weeks? No pressure. Sales slacking and you need to pay BILLS? No pressure. The worst part is that I'm my own boss so I could actually quit at any time but, I love what I do. Yes, you can love and hate something at the same time. So much emotional confusion because women.
Zig Ziglar is always on time with the quotes. 
Well, how do I stay motivated? Most people make lists and write down all the things they're grateful for but, I don't have the time or attention span for all of that. 3 kids, husband, house to clean, time to waste, I need a quick fix, like coffee when it comes to motivation. We aren't trying to get out of depression, here.

Here's what works for me:

1. Quotes: I love motivational quotes! I even have a board on Pinterest with inspirational quotes. I am not a fan of the passive aggressive quotes. Typing "Motivational Quotes" in the Pinterest search will give you pages and pages of motivation. Save them to look at for the rough days.
2. Stay Around Positive People: On all of my social media, I try to only "Follow" positive people. I don't mind complaining, I complain too. I just need people in my circle who are excited about a new day! Positivity (so this isn't a word? It should be.) is contagious!
3. Make Friends: I hate the term "networking". People who "network" are annoying. Make friends with other business owners. These are the people who will understand your struggle like no one else. Get to know them, let them in. Find someone you admire and send a "Have a great day! I was just thinking about you" Inbox message. Go make friends!
4. Get To Work: Sometimes this is simply what you need to do. Push all of the problems out and do what you need to do. Just keep going. Write the blog post anyway, even if you feel like no one will read it. Do it. If you don't do anything, you won't get anything and then you will sit there wondering why nothing is working...don't do this.

Here are a few business owners I love to Follow for motivation:

Alex Elle
Myleik Teele
Pamela Jenkins
Zig Ziglar (I know he is old school but, he was a very wise man)
Humans Of New York

There are more, lots more people but, these few will get you started! If you're on Social Media, share some inspiration too! You never know who might need it.

 photo blogsignature1_zpsaa547a94.png


1 comment:

  1. Number 4 is a vital point. What we do now, might not always be for the present audience. And another perspective, as a mother, we move forward as an example for our children; As a woman, we move forward to remember our give, to keep our confidence in check, and to lift other women up. Not moving forward, not getting to work, simply keeps one in an inadequate state-of-mind. All points are great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. 1. No spam. 2. Be respectful

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...